Legal Director Job Announcement
May 30, 2019
The National Immigration Project is a national membership organization of lawyers, law students, legal workers and advocates, and jailhouse lawyers working to defend and extend the rights of all noncitizens in the United States, regardless of immigration status. The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) was founded in 1937 as the first racially integrated bar association in the United States.
The Legal Director will oversee and direct the work of other members of the NIPNLG’s legal team. The Legal Director will also litigate cases and submit amicus briefs in the organization’s programmatic priority areas, as well as provide technical assistance and training to members and other advocates. Finally, the Legal Director will assist and advise the Executive Director on transition and strategic priorities for the legal team.
- Oversees and directs the work of the NIPNLG’s legal work and the legal staff;
- Approves staff engagement in legal work;
- Meets with legal staff to ensure proper case analysis and assessment;
- Communicates regularly with legal staff about programmatic work;
- Develops and litigates impact cases in areas of NIPNLG programmatic priorities;
- Collaborates with immigrants’ rights and community groups on litigation and advocacy;
- Submits friend of the court briefs in areas of programmatic priorities;
- Provides technical assistance to members and other advocates;
- Trains immigration practitioners, criminal defense counsel, and other advocates on immigration law;
- Publishes practice advisories and other legal materials and updates existing legal resources;
- Assists in recruitment and supervision of legal interns;
- Represents NIPNLG on panels, in the media, and in community-facing events;
- Supports organization-wide initiatives and mentors staff;
- In collaboration with the ED, implements the NIPNLG programmatic priorities.
- Eight to ten years litigation experience;
- Experience with overseeing and directing the work of other attorneys and members of a legal team;
- Commitment to immigrants’ rights and social justice;
- Excellent analytic, advocacy, and legal skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Law degree.
Salary and Benefits
The salary package is commensurate with experience and includes fully paid health, dental, and disability insurance, retirement plan, and four weeks annual leave. This is a union position.
Note: the staff union contract is the subject of pending national contract negotiations between the Union, the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, and management representatives of the NLG.
NIPNLG is a national organization. Location for this position is flexible.
Please send a cover letter, resume, list of references, and 5-10 page legal writing sample in a single PDF to: email@example.com. Please put “Legal Director” in the subject line.
The National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild is an affirmative action employer. For more information about the organization’s work, see nipnlg.org/about.html